Friday, January 9, 2009

Churning out miles.....The build up

"What!!!!", said Ravikant and then he went on to lecture me on how much my 1 month old daughter and my wife loved me and how they needed me by their side and so, why I needed to keep my natural instincts in wraps all my life and do saner things in life. But then, life is not about compromising always and Frahan Akhtar's voice would repeatedly prick me into going for dreams you have been seeing with your eyes open. "Zindagi milegi na dobara", he says. So "Rock on!!!".
My wife bears testimony to all the hours I spend on the Eicher atlas and how I can rattle off distances between towns in a flash. All these years, the hours spent studying the atlas and reading travelogues had only being adding frustartion to my life and rust to my Corsa. It had come to a point that I was just plain unhappy with myself and so this drive had to happen. Wifey had made me pledge not to go on rides, but as a safe option she had reasoned, "But, obviously you are 'free' to drive whereever you want" and so I had the loophole in the law which could be exploited.
So Bangalore to Panipat it was going to be. The Corsa needed to see the light of the day. I brought it out and parked it at a local garage with instructions to ready it for the long haul. Next thing, I started looking for comapnions, Chamoli was already lazying at home in Dehradun, Ashutosh had just come back, Pradeep's parents were away and then I asked the most unlikely guy sitting next to me, Hitesh Khatri. Khatri happens to be from Rajasthan and is always bubbling with enthusiasm. He agreed at the first go............and lo, everything was falling into place.
The plan was to start on the 2nd (Jan, 2009) afternoon and hit Delhi on the 4th Morning. It was a little aggressive but looked achievable to my inexperienced mind. My earlier experiences with long hauls were almost next to none. For years I had been reading about people on my bike group, Bike Nomads (BN), comfortably doing 1000+ kms in a day on a bike, I had a car 1400cc car which could safely do 3 digit speeds. So all looked so logical. The plan was to avoid MP and the Hyderabad route, do the extra 500 kms and go through Pune, Thane, Ahmedabad, Udaipur, Jaipur and Delhi. NH4 and then NH8 all the way.
On the 31st, Khatri coolly backed off. He said, his mother was ready to pay for the airfare and its a strict no from his family. I was devastated. I knew this was not his mother but some busy minds at office who termed this journey as insane and a road to heaven. They said it is very unsafe and not a drive from one cross-section of the city to another (which they do twice a week at odd hours, all tipsy)!!!! I reasoned and he dismissed. Surely he couldnt let down his mom. I spoiled my entire day cursing everybody in sight. Finally I reasoned that I cannot let all the frustration to set in again after having already seen the Sun at the horizon and that my dreams should not be dependent on others. So, I decided to start early on 1st Jan itself, preponing the trip by a day. This was a masterstroke, I can safely say this now, in hindsight and you will find out later. I spoke to couple of friends on BN and they said do it, even if alone. I had the confidence now. I remembered that one guy on BCM touring did Mumbai-Leh all alone on his Pulsar 200 and he gave me immense confidence. Buddy, whereever you are you gave me immense inspiration, a big THANKS and this drive is dedicated just to you.
Arpan, helped me with directions through Mumbai. Venkat, gave contacts in Belgaum. Z-Tech motors' Manoj got the Corsa ready, I made available information about the roads from blogs and Eicher Atlas was ready. I also downloaded the Google Maps application onto my mobile, this was another master stroke. Got GPRS Rs. 140 a week package activated on my mobile. The clothes were packed and all was ready at 830pm on the 31st Dec,08. Then, the phone started ringing, it was Khatri. I ignored him and he persisted and messaged. Finally we talked, he was drunk and ready for the drive!!!! I said, I can't trust you any longer and I have preponed the trip and am starting tomorrow. He said that he will come, just delay it by a few hours. I get tempted for company and relent. And so, all is set.

Route:
Bangalore-Tumkur-Hubli-Belgaum-Kohlapur-Pune-Thane-Daman-Surat-Baroda-Ahmadabad-Udaipur-Chittaurgarh-Kishangarh-Jaipur-Delhi-Samalkha (Panipat).
Follow NH4 to Thane and then NH8 to Udaipur. Shift to NH76 to Chittaurgarh and then from Chittaurgarh NH79 to Kishangarh. From here get back to NH8 again till Delhi. From Delhi its NH1 till Samalkha, Panipat.
Distance as per atlas is 2577.

Goto Day 1

13 comments:

Nirdesh said...

I salute you for this ambitious plan and courage to take benefit of the loophole in the law :)

Well a famous hindi poet Rahul once said "Sair kar gafil duniya ki, jindagani phir kahan,
Jindagani gar rahi tau naujawani phir kahan"

Prince of Delhi said...

Kudos Saini!
Agli baar do add me in ur voyage list

Led 'Zapp'ed said...

Leave apart everything,it is your sheer determination for which i have to take a bow.I must confess that I was one of the league of distinguished gentleman who did find this whole idea quite unreasonable.Maybe my thinking belongs to one of the lot who would get bogged down by the worries/apprehensions of such an arduous trip.I would simply have considered it as 'not worth it'.But then again, at the end of the day,it was your conviction that made you enjoy a trip that you are gonna remember for a very long time.
Kudos to you Prabhjot :)

Anand B.G. said...

Good one to start with. May be I will consider you for South Africa. We can get Khatri drunk on that run too :)

Sainis'......Finding happiness in each other said...

BG man!!! I am telling this you from my experience now...........reading stuff on travelogues is entirely different from actually doing it. I read about people doing 1400kms a day ,with ease, regularly, on bikes and I couldnt cross 1k with a 1400cc car. 3 nights of only 5 hours of sleep and driving whole day, it was not at all easy.
U wont believe it but Khatri and I did talkabout your South Africa trip at times and we suggest that you should at least graduate to a K2K trip and then start thinking of it.
And Khatri truly is a legend, the way he stuck with me through out is exceptional.

Sainis'......Finding happiness in each other said...

@Nirdesh sir, looks like the laws are the same on ur side too ;-).

@Led Rajiv, come up with a simpler name!!!! N yes I know about this league of distinguished gentlemen

ravikant said...

hmmm.....I haven't seen Rock on!!!

ravikant said...

It must be gr8 adventure....I guess...Congrats!!!

ravikant said...

Even I am thinking about some kind of adventure.......

Ragesh said...

Great Dude.. We are expecting more from your Side

Anand B.G. said...

Well I agree K2K first and then we will think of SA. Also see this, we will face left and right change over: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left_hand_drive ..... Regarding making 1400 in a day, you can do by having 3 drivers. Each drives 4 hours and rests and every 5000 kms give your vehicle a days rest and service it the best you can (need to have a servicing protocol and also spares stacked). SA is atleast 10 years away but I am planning for sure :)

Anita said...

Hey Prabhjot, congratulations for your trip!! I didn't know that you were away on a bike trip. I am sure this adventure would have given you great satisfaction at the end of the day.

Unknown said...

Mr. Saini, this one is straight on the top of the charts. You have surprised many of us with this. I never knew u are such a big travel enthusiast. Kudos to you!
BTW you even narrated it pretty well, one can feel the excitement while reading it. 10\10.

 
© Prabhjot Singh Saini, 2007-2009